Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cookies taste better than paper!

Although it has only been a few weeks since I have posted, I am lost in a million thoughts of the things that I want to write about. It seems as though every day, Jamey is more fun to watch. Every motion he makes with his hands evokes a look on his face that is new. Perhaps my favorite thing is when an object is slightly in his way when he is looking around. He then leans his head forward, raises his eyebrows and has a grin on his face as his eyes search for what he is trying to see. This face was the inspiration for my favorite game, in which I hide a little and yell, "Jamey, where am I? Come find me." He searches around and when he finds me, he has a huge grin on his face.

In the past weeks, Jamey has begun to give his digestive system a little more of a challenge. About two weeks ago, Glenn and I decided to demonstrate the statement I had made to my sister that when it snows, no one wants to cook and goes out to eat. While it began to snow, we drove over to Red Lobster. We kept Jamey busy by handing him things he could crumple and make noise with. One of the last, while we hurried to finish our dinners, was Glenn's coaster. It was thick, and of course, Jamey decided to see what it would taste like. This was fine until a bit later when we pulled the coaster away from him and saw a little bite mark. Oops!
A few days later, it happened again. Jamey sat on my lap while I played a computer game. He grabbed at a small pad of paper on the desk, that was shaped like an apple. He liked it, cause he could get at one of the pieces of paper and listen to it crinkle. He managed to rip one apple off the stack. Three minutes passed as my game ended. I looked down and wondered, Where did that piece of paper go that Jamey had in his hand? I panicked, reached into his mouth and felt nothing. I looked all around us on the floor and saw nothing. I thought to myself that maybe it had fallen somewhere that I couldn't see. And then... as he unfurled his fist, a tiny piece of wadded up yellow fell out of his hand. Panic set in again. I got Jamey to open his mouth, and there, wadded up on the roof of his mouth was half of the paper. The other half must have safely found its way down into his belly. Needless to say, we are much more careful now of what he has in his hand.

As a reaction to Jamey's relentless efforts to eat things he shouldn't, we bought him his first box of biter biscuits today. These are made by Gerber, especially for babies who don't really have any teeth. It has no sugar or anything that could be bad for the baby. In putting away the groceries, Jamey got ahold of my book of coupons and I was only too happy to trade the book with him for one of his biscuits. He grasped it with curiosity and within minutes, the biscuit was already started to dissolve in his mouth. After half an hour, that dissolving cookie wasn't just in his mouth.... it was on his hands, down his outfit, on his face, and even a little in his hair. Needless to say, it was a hit.
----------------------------------

With as many baby versions of things that Jamey has, from a PDA to a CD Player to a piano to 2 cell phones, it seems that the most fun is to be had from the real thing. One day, he managed to call an 800 number on my cell phone somehow. Thank goodness it was Saturday and the business was closed. But perhaps the cooler toy is the remote for the TV. It lights up, it makes the numbers on "that box" above the tv blink. Believe it or not, Jamey does seem to understand that when he pushes a button, a little pin of light blinks on the box. I know this because he raises the remote in his hand and turns his head to look at the box. He then stares at it and continues to push buttons. All this, with the television off. And what, might you ask, does Jamey prefer to watch on TV?
Well, last night he directed us to a documentary program about 70's singers Peter, Paul and Mary. But more than that, he has twice attempted to access the Latin American Playboy channel, which we, of course, do not have.

As well as learning how to use his hands, Jamey has developed a keen sense of hearing. Whenever he hears a sound, he peers around to find its source. Sometimes that source is the heater, sometimes it is a person. Perhaps the funniest experience is when Jamey came into contact with the radio. In the morning, I put Jamey on our bed while I change for work. Because the alarm is still on from waking us, NPR is usually blaring through the room from the radio next to our bed. For most of his life, Jamey took no notice. Then, one day, he was sitting there playing with his toys and I noticed him lean forward from the pillow behind him and peer around it to look at the night table. His eyes searched for "the woman who was talking". After a second, he went back to his toys. But every few seconds, I noticed his head shift back toward the radio. Luckily, I caught it on camera at least once. (The blue light you see is the alarm clock)

1 comment:

Aunt Sue said...

He is just too cute for words! He is so smart & I just love babyness, it is soooo cool to watch all that they learn!

Yes, the biter biscuits are the hugest mess you will ever give a baby! The baby butter cookies are also a huge hit! Don't forget Cherios (man, I know I spelled that wrong). The good thing about Cheerios is that they are so small that they will disolve before they could even think of choking on them. Just be sure to only give him a small handful at a time.

When Joh was about 6 months my doctor asked me if he was eating table food yet. It had been a long time since having since I had a baby & was confused by the choke factor. They assured me that if I made sure the pieces small enough there was no issue...the example they used was "how do you think old people with no teeth eat"...hmmm interesting thought. Anyway, you will be amazed more & more by the things he will revel in eating. The only thing being that once you get them started, they will not go back. LOL Babyfood YUCK!

Take care, enjoy him & every new moment & every adventure. Not that they ever stop, they just get more interesting. LOL

Love you very much! Your sis!