Sunday, September 14, 2008

2 Month Check-up/ Update


Although Jamey is officially 9 weeks old, he was (per the calendar) 2 months old this past Thursday.  As such, he had his monthly wellcare checkup on Friday afternoon.  I was a little worried, as I knew that he would be getting 4 shots at the visit.  Before the visit, Glenn and I prepared ourselves for 1)the unveiling of his latest weight, and 2)a screaming baby on the way home.  We took guesses as to what the weight would be-- Glenn said 4 and a half pounds, I said closer to 4 lb. 1 oz, just to be contrary.  

The first thing they check of course is the weight and let's say, Glenn was closer, as Jamey proved to be 14 lb. 6 oz., keeping him right up there in the 95% for weight.  For height, he is now in the 80%, as opposed to 90%, at 23 3/4 inches.  In true Van Welzen fashion, his head continues to grow well, and is in the 75% percentile at 16.5 inches.  Needless to say, he still looks much older than his age.  

The end of the visit brought time for the shots.  Glenn held his arms down to give him a bit of a feeling of being held tight, as the nurse asked us to do.  And then she just put the needle into his leg.  A sudden scream filled the air and then it subsided a bit, until the next shot.  By the end of the last one, Jamey's entire head was red and he had lapsed into the furious/ hyperventilating cry.  I call it that because you see him about to cry before you hear it, with his wide open, building up to the scream.  But really, after a moment, he calmed down and just looked around.  The nurse stepped aside for Glenn to pick him up and in, what I must guess is his idea of retaliation, he let out a really loud fart, and settled back down.  That's our boy.  :)

He has become much more vocal in the last week, and yesterday, he seemed to discover that on those hand things he found recently, he also has fingers.  I caught him yesterday curling them as though he were waving goodbye.  Then, as Glenn gave him a bottle, he used his little fingers to feel Glenn's fingertips individually.  I also caught him "plattling" this morning, as he raised his leg and lowered his hand at the same time.  I guess watching at the show yesterday really taught him something.  


And of course, Jamey loved the recent visit from Grammy and Hoopop (Glenn's parents).  They came up yesterday and hung out with him at our show, so we didn't have to worry as much about finding someone to watch him if we were both dancing.  Hoopop showed him all the places in the area that he could get into trouble and he and Jamey also planned a fishing trip for some day a few years from now, and Grammy taught him how to splash in rain puddles on the tabletop.  And just to show them how much fun he had, he giggled and smiled at them quite a bit.  Both Glenn and I were so happy that we got to show off our grinning boy to them, and so happy that he smiled just for them and showed them how much he loves them too.  :)

I must admit that, as any Mom would say, it can be very frustrating when I don't know what Jamey wants and he just continues to cry.  Every now and again, he decides that he just doesn't want to nurse, and cries until his head is literally completely red.  But really, just when I think I am frustrated to no end, he lays in my arms, looks up and me and grins.  He has this look in his eyes like, "Aw, come on, Mommy, you can't be mad at me."  And indeed, I'm not mad at him, and I can already tell that when he is a little older, he is going to get away with way too much with me.

3 comments:

Jess said...

That's great that Jamey is doing so well!

I just checked Katie's numbers and (at 2 months) she was 11 pounds, 8.5 oz (70%) and 24 inches (90%)!

Janet said...

WOW...I didn't realize that you
saw me splashing little one's feet
in the puddles...but he really enjoyed it...helping to keep him
cool...Hope that he was a good boy
sat. night...and slept..Hoopopa and I loved every minute with the
three of you..can't wait until the next time now..

Aunt Sue said...

Wow, he is truly in VanWelzen form with big baby syndrome! I continue to get comment about Joh as, at barely 7, he is almost 80 lbs, I don't really know how tall, but let's just say he is almost completely outgrown his size 10's I bought him when school started & will be in size 12 jeans by Christmas (easily). His tops are all 10/12. He is pretty much the largest kid in the 2nd grade & is the 2nd from youngest in all of the 2nd grade pod!

So, I guess what I am trying to warn you is they just keep sprouting! It's okay, I am fine with them being stocky & healthy! The fact that you love to cook also & love your Cooking Light will help!

Loving the videos again! Anna loves to watch Jamey's videos with me & keeps asking to watch them over & over. : )

Love you! Talk to you soon!

Sue