Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"I know my body"

Glenn and I decided about 5 months ago that it was time for us to start trying to have a baby. We had waited a year like we had intended and were hoping to get pregnant during the summer so that the baby would be born at the end of the next school year, affording "Mama" a nice little break from the end of the year procedures at school. Alas, the summer past with no pregnancy. Toward the beginning of the school year, I hit a rough patch with my irritable bowel and we decided to take it easy on trying until my body got control of itself. So September passed and suddenly, I became better. So it was back to business.

Several weeks ago, I suddenly started to feel a little different. As crazy as it sounds, I felt like I was consistently a little rounder around my belly. I have a tiny little waist, so you never know. However, I am Mrs. Paranoia and didn't want to tell anyone, even Glenn, because I thought if I did, it wouldn't be true. So I kept the secret and just rubbed my belly every once in a while. Finally I told Glenn I thought I was getting bigger, but he told me it was probably just the large dinner I had just eaten. Go figure. But my Mommy instincts couldn't be changed.

November 4 came and there was no sign of "Aunt Flow". I held my breath every time I went to the bathroom and just crossed my fingers. A week passed and when Glenn found out I still hadn't had "any visitors", he figured I should take a test.

So I went into my stash of pregnancy tests and took a First Response test. Unlike the other times I had used the test, a second line was suddenly very faintly visible. What could this mean??? I wasn't positive. What if it was a mistake? I wanted to test again, but of course, I had run out of tests. So at 8:30 at night, I hopped into my car and headed over to CVS. I got a fancy schmancy digital pregnancy test. It actually flashes an hourglass while it processes your results. It didn't take long to process though and the word "Pregnant" popped up quickly. I yelled and screamed and hugged Glenn. Finally, our wish had come true.

Because I am paranoid, we decide not to tell our parents until Christmas when I am sure everything will be all right. We figure it will also make for an unforgettable Christmas present. Of course, though, I have to tell some people so I reveal the secret to a select few of my absolute closest friends. I figure that if anything DOES happen, I would want them to know anyway. Hopefully no one will read this later and be angry that I didn't tell them right away, but I felt like this was the best thing to keep my own stress levels at bay.

No comments: