Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mommy Training

As I get closer and closer to having the baby, I am finding there are certain things I don't normally like to do, that, as the "Mommy", I am going to have to do. I am not talking about anything too big and scary. It is really the little things.

This week, I am getting some crash course training of being the only one in charge, which will be good training for those times when Glenn is at work or off playing frisbee and Jamie needs something. Say for example, when there is a large camel cricket lurking in the corner, as there was this morning. Normally, I would whine to Glenn, he would come with a plastic cup and capture the bug and set it outside. This morning, when I came across one, I said to myself, "This is Mommy training." Soon I am going to have to temporarily lose my fear of bugs (or at least cover it) and kill them. So I picked up the box of Kleenex and frantically swatted at the bug. Mission accomplished. I, unlike Glenn, don't set the bug free-- sorry to all the camel cricket lovers out there.

And then, again, a mini-crisis occurred this morning. I began my list of "things to do" by lobbing a load of dirty laundry into the washer. I poured on the Downy and the Tide, set the washer and pulled the knob. But.... no noise. No flowing water. No power. Hmmm... At first I thought maybe turned off the water for some reason, but then I tried the dryer. No power. So now what?

Normally, I would wait for Glenn or call him to do the "man thing" and fix the problem. And yet, I had already dumped a bunch of Tide on my clothing and couldn't wait 5 more days. So I started to think about the limited amount of electrical and power related information that I have, and realized what needed to be done. I went to the breaker box, and played around, and what do you know, I got them both to work. Granted, I had to call my dad just to doublecheck that what I was doing was right, but I could have gotten it without him! I swear!

Not sure why it happened, but I got it to work again, so the why doesn't really matter to me. I will let Glenn figure out the why when he gets back. He loves doing that.... understanding the why, that is.

But for now, I am curious to see what my next Mommy training will be. Hopefully not too many more bugs...

1 comment:

Aunt Sue said...

Okay, so I feel your pain...still. :) Have you read the post on my blog titled "Sometimes it's Hard to Be a Big Girl". It seems the fun never stops!

But, okay, I have a few to fill you in on that you will almost definitely encounter. These are the ones you may not think of...it deals in having a baby with an anatomy different than yours. Do not think I am rude or anything, trust me you will thank me when faced with these 2 items.

First of all, baby errection is completely normal & happens. I know, you don't want to know this about your innocent little boy! I still remember the day Lisa was changing Liam's diaper in the office, he was a couple of months old. Suddenly she says "Sue, something is wrong with him, his penis is all swollen! Why is this happening?". After trying very hard not to laugh, I reminded her that we had discussed this, baby errection happens, all the time & is totally normal. You, it is in them from birth. : )

The other happened to me when Chris was travelling. This is not as common, but it does happen. Testicular strangulation. When the testicles pull up into their little bodies, they pull up their legs & cry & cry. Joh was actually a toddler when this happened & it scared him to have this horrid pain. I was lucky enough to have Sean there, not quite a teen, but familiar in this. He told me "Mom, there is absolutely nothing you can do & it hurts like h@*%!". So, in desperation I gentley pumped his little legs & just waited for it to pass. And, as Sean had told me, it did. I have been told it feels like "being racked", not fun.

So, there is my piece of advice on Mommy training for a Mom having a boy. There are too many more...all small, but important. Call me anytime you have a question, chances are pretty good after 4 kids, I have done it, tried it, been through it. :) Let's not even discuss Sean sticking those little "google eyes" up his nose when he was 5! Thank God Chris was there for that one!

Love you sis! Happy to answer any questions anytime. :)

Sue