Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Babies, babies everywhere!

Are they all trying to taunt me? One of the doctors in my OB practice? Jamie Lynn Spears? Nicole Kidman? Matthew McConaghey? And even my high school friend Heather? All of them have alreadey had their babies. Don't get me wrong. I am extremely happy for all of them, particularly Heather, whose little girl is adorable. But everywhere I look, it seems that people are popping out babies. I am wondering if my friend Kris, who was due yesterday, has had her little boy yet. I am guessing no, as she would have sent out word if she had.

And here I am, back from another weekly visit to the doctor. Again, there has been progress, I am dilated more, and apparently, "My water sac is bulging." On a side note, don't ask how much exactly I have dilated. This is the exchange that took place with my doctor today-- my doctor who may be even more laid back than my old OB Dr. Fruiterman.

Him: "How much did she say you were dilated last week?"
Me: "One centimeter."
Him: "Yeah, you are definitely further along than that now."

But, as he said, that doesn't always mean anything. He made reference to a woman who came in, having no dilation, and then went into labor 4 hours later. As everyone says, "The baby will come when he wants to come. Nothing is really a sign."

On the note of info, that I have received today, I can tell everyone that I officially have an induction date. If he is still playing stubborn by then, I will be induced on July 17th at 7 PM, but with a slight change of plans. The induction will take place at Fairfax Hospital, and not Fair Oaks, as originally planned. Somehow I feel that Murphy's Law is going to take over on this one.

And the reason for the change? Remember that doctor I mentioned at the beginning of the blog entry who works in my practice and gave birth? Well, she delivered several weeks early, making things at the practice a little crazy. Due to that, apparently they have moved all inductions to Fairfax.

At first I was dismayed, but the fact is that Fairfax is another Inova hospital, just like Fair Oaks, and beyond that, it is a really great hospital as well. It's just a small amount further away. That's just the way life goes-- you just gotta roll with the punches.

I have, though, instructed Jamey that he better come out soon!

(On a side note, we have decided to spell his nickname Jamey and not Jamie, as Jamey denotes the name James more. Also, it is a little more unique, which is one thing we want to add to his name. )

6 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

Poor Lissa! I tried to tell you & everyone not to be so mean as to get your hopes up for an early delivery. First babies never come early. :( Unless they are dangerously early, they just like to stay inside comfy Mommy. On an up note the next one could come early. I'm so sorry that everyone is taunting you with their babies & we will all be hoping & praying that you do not have to make it all the way to the 17th. Just plan for it to be that long & anything sooner will be a wonderful surprise. (easy for me to say, huh?).

I love you sis, it will suddenly be here & over & you will wonder why it felt so long. Stay cool, stay hydrated & we are all thinking about you!

Love you sis!!!!

Sue

Jess said...

Don't worry Mel...I will NOT have another baby before you have Jamey. I promise!

Jacquie Cook said...

YEAH I am going to be right in the baby pool! I am so excited to see you in what 19 days now!! Woot Woot! I love you and I LOVE the unique spelling of Jamey! Me and him we gots to stick together on our uniqness!
Loves,
Jacquie & Nick
(Who you finally get to meet soon!)

Kristina Buenafe said...

ooh I was born at Fairfax Hospital! That's a great place :)

ruth said...

Congratulations on your "7/11" baby. Jamey is surely blessed to have two great parents like you and Glenn!

Jess said...

Baby Jamey was born last night, so it will probably be awhile before Melissa gets back to her blog.

I posted a couple pictures on my site and will put more up tomorrow, after I visit Melissa.

If you'd like to see some pictures, please go to:
http://babylamken.blogspot.com/