Thursday, July 3, 2008

Everyone loves a pregnant woman!

It has been my experience that most people are nice to pregnant women, but I didn't know that even children know how awesome pregnant people are! :)

Two nights ago, Glenn and I went out to our favorite Italian restaurant for our 2nd anniversary. It was a very low key affair, as we have so much going on, if you know what I mean. The hostess led us to the table, and as we sat, a little girl, turned to look at me. She was probably about 4 years old, with curly blond hair in pigtails. As we picked up our menus, I heard her say, "Mommy, that's my friend. That's my friend over there." Glenn and I looked over and she had her finger pointed out toward me. She was continuing to say something about me being her friend. Her mom and I shared a knowing grin. I wasn't sure what had brought it on, as I hadn't said anything to or even looked at the little girl on my way in. I figured maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was pregnant.

We enjoyed a great dinner. I watched the little girl out of the corner of my eye, and as the family got up to leave, I noticed something that made me smile. As her mother got up, I saw that she was probably just as pregnant as I am. That made it all come together. By our estimation, the little girl has probably been told that her friend is inside Mommy's belly. And seeing me walk in with that same size of belly, the girl figured that maybe her other friend was inside my belly.
----------------

Well, as you notice, I did what many said I never would-- I made it to July without having delivered the baby. Not that I was trying to hold out so long, but this is what has happened. We had our weekly doctor's visit yesterday, and I have progressed a bit. At the appointment, I was 1 cm dilated and more effaced, but she didn't say by how much. In an attempt to move things along, she scraped my membranes. I'll let you look that up, if you don't know what it means. For many women, this sparks everything and sets it in motion. As long as your body is ready to go. So cramping followed, as it was supposed to, and shortly through the day, I lost my plug. This can mean nothing and can mean everything. Some women lose their plug weeks before they go into labor, and some, just as they begin. We shall see which camp I fall into.

And that is where I currently stand. I get up every day and move around. I make Glenn laugh by doing fake little aerobics. He loves to see my giant belly move around. And of course, I am suddenly eager to go retrieve things I left upstairs. And yet, he still seems to comfortable. What is it going to take??

No comments: