Sunday, January 27, 2008

A genius baby haunts my dreams...

Two nights ago I had my first full-fledged dream about having the baby. I have been told many times that people dream about holding their baby and knowing the sex of the baby and things like that. Until now, the baby had been mentioned in my dreams, but never featured. Until Friday night!

I don't remember the actual birth of the baby, but I know that for some reason, my parents took the baby home, instead of me doing it. I remember walking into my house in my dreams and saying, "Where is the baby?" I walked into the kitchen and was informed that the baby was a girl. But when my mom handed her over to me, she didn't want me... She wanted my mom-- because she had been separated from me for so long. I took her as she cried and almost dropped her because she was squirming so fiercely.

The strange thing about the baby in the dream was that within a few hours of being born, she was about the size of a one year old, but still being cradled like a one-day-old. And then she stood up and began to walk around. My parents, Glenn, and I marvelled at her quick abilities. And then she looked at Glenn and said, "Daddy." Again, we marvelled that she could also talk. For no good reason, I said to the little one, "Sprichst du Deutsch?" (Do you speak German) and she answered with a clear and somewhat sarcastic "Ja..." as though it was perfectly natural. We all stood back and wondered how it could be possible that she could know German already.

As the dream progressed, the little one began to get a personality much like a petulant teenager. She was sarcastic and independent-- not unlike someone else I know... But she didn't want to be held and babied. She didn't want to be treated like a baby. In my dream, this whole thing made me very sad. I was supposed to be loving the fact that I was a new mom, but all I really wanted was to have a real baby who couldn't talk yet and had no attitude.

I was overjoyed when I awoke and realized it had all just been a dream!!

No comments: