Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Business of Being Born

On Friday night, I went out to a movie with Jess, my friend who recently became a mom (in September)-- but this wasn't just another blockbuster to eat popcorn through. We went to a documentary called "The Business of Being Born" which was produced by Ricky Lake in order to address the beaucracy that has taken over alot of how babies are born and the maternity care given in the US. The movie focused on home births and midwives and tried to educate people on the misperception that not having a baby in a hospital is a completely ludicrous thing.

Although I, myself, would still never have a baby at home, I did learn that having a midwife with me in a hospital really wouldn't be a ridiculous thought. As a sociology major, some of the facts told made me shake my head. Of all the countries in the world, we are really the only one with so few home births and so few midwives in practice. In Europe and other areas of the world, having a midwife deliver your baby is perfectly natural. But here, it is seen as hippified and crazy. I am not sure exactly what it is about the US, where we think that we must do things different from everyone else in the world. We must find a different way and our way has to be the "right" way. In fact, we have one of the highest infant mortality rates among the developed nations of the world.

I, too, used to think, "Who in their right mind would want to have a baby at their house" or "Who in their right mind wouldn't have their doctor be the one delivering the baby." The film really helped to remind me that, when it comes down to it, women have been having babies for a VERY long time and that our bodies are trained to know what to do when birthing occurs. We need to trust that more and just have a trained professional with us, which could be a doctor OR a midwife. In fact, midwives are often trained nurses who know the process of birth really well. They also know when a women does indeed need to be in a hospital.

So, anyway, the biggest thing I got from this is that it may not be all that bad of an idea. A midwife would be someone who wouldn't go in and out of the room every two minutes to check other patients. She wouldn't be coming in ten minutes before the baby was born to help "pop it out." And really, the best thing is that the midwife can be an advocate for you in the hospital. If things are being pressed upon you that would rather not have, she can step in for you and say, "No, she doesn't necessarily want that petocin." It would take one more pressure off the shoulders of the parents.

When I have my baby in July, I have learned there a few things I want to know. I want to know that my doctor won't just be rushing me to get in and have the baby quickly. I want to know that if I want to get up and walk around, I will be able to move as my body would like to move. I want to know that if I have a normal birth, they will let me hold my baby for a little while before rushing him/her off to be measured and "catalogued." And I want to know that, in an area of the state where the C Section rate in some hospitals is 50%, that I actually have a chance of not having one. Lucky for me, Glenn and I are pretty sure that our doctor is a hippy so I feel like I don't have too much to worry about.

I actually recommend this movie. It doesn't push its ideology on you, it doesn't lecture you that you should have a home birth. Really, it just tells you about the experiences of some women and presents a side of things you may never have thought of.

4 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

I can see what you are saying with this & I haven't seen the movie....but, with having had 3 very different births, I would not want to be without a trained doctor. Nurses ARE great & many times have better knowledge than a doctor, but in the end it is better to be safe than sorry. I myself had the best birth first, I labored for 7 hours(pushed about 2 of those) & everything was very normal. Than I went to #2, figured I had done this before & it would be easier. Instead I had a 12 hour labor this time, did not dialate any further than 4 cm until I had been in labor for 11.5 hours (& the doctor fixed the screw up the nurses had made so that he could be born), then I gave 2 pushes & out he came...not breathing. The doctor made sure the crash crew was "on it" & within about 20 minutes he was breathing fine & ended up great...but what if I hadn't had a doctor who was "on the ball", he sat in the hall for many hours waiting for me to progress & when the crunch came, he was there. Then came #3, 18 hours of labor, at 33 years old, would not dialate (again), he was face down (again, like my 2nd) & with yet another doctor I was not forced to do anything I did not want.I did not want an epidural(which I eventually took for my first time, after 17.5 hours of laboring), I did not want an episiotomy(sp?), I did not want a C Section. My wishes were respected with each baby. When Joh came out 18 hours later, he pulled himself out (literally)after about 2 or 3 pushes, looked at his Daddy, peed all over him & cried immediately. Happy, healthy, & ready to take on the world. My first baby was 8lbs 1oz, my 2nd was 6lbs, 5oz, my third was 7lbs even. So, all in all, your body & your babies will do whatever they want & sometimes it is best to be prepared for whatever that might be. That said, you have the right idea, talk to your doctor & make sure he understands what you want & how you want it & understand his policies. That way you have the best of both worlds, being prepared & having your wishes for your birth. I love you sis, I know it will all be great! Sounds like a movie I would love!

Sue

Nina said...

Sounds like a really cool movie. I should try to catch it sometime. I myself had a midwife for the birth of my first two. She was far from your conventional "hippie" midwife though. She was very much like a Dr. and actually encouraged me to have my babies in the hospital. She's virtually retired now and in light of our miscarriage last spring, we ended up switching to an OB. He has been wonderful as well. I've never had too much of a birthplan. All that ever really matter to me is that the baby makes his/her way out safely. I told my Dr. that for this one, Amanda, my birthplan request would only carry two words, "Epidural Please!" LOL. One thing for sure is I can't imagine having my baby anywhere but the hospital as well.

I agree with you on once the baby comes out. It is important to have that time with him/her with you before they are wisked off for all the fixin's. I have talked to my Dr. about it and he said that at Littleton (where I will be delivering) they are good about that and just follow the Dr.'s lead. He assured me I would have as much time as I wanted with her. I have also requested no eye drops and no hepititis B shot at the hospital.

I think the birth of your child is a very personal thing. There really is no right or wrong way. Different strokes for different folks! That's pretty much my motto in life. I'm sure whatever you and your Dr. come up with will be just perfect for you. However, it is also good to see that you are not closeminded to the options other people might choose to take.

Can't wait 'til February, Chica! Love you! SMACK!

Jackie P. said...

I'm glad that women have control of their bodies today.I had my babies at a time when there wasn't a choice as to how it was done...you were knocked out and woke up to find you had had your baby.It is so much better today...you are consulted and its not the attitude of dr knows best.

I have the highest regards for midwives today.I just finished reading a book called "The Birth House" by Ami McKay...I think some may find it very intersting :)....I know I did but I sure wanted to smack that Dr.Thomas.

Jess said...

As a mommy that didn't get to see her baby until 4 hours after delivery, I will make sure those Fair Oaks doctors let you hold your baby! Remember, I will be your junior midwife!