Saturday, December 1, 2007

Pregnancy Brain.... it's for real!

As someone who is usually very confident in answering questions and sounding competent, one big side effect of pregnancy that isn't so easy to get used to is Pregnancy Brain. It may sound crazy, but when you're pregnancy you truly do seem to offer up some of your precious brain cells to the little one in your womb. Which means that you suddenly can't remember things that you normally would. You find yourself stumbling over words. You lose track of your train of thought in the middle of a conversation. And it has befallen me on a number of occasions. Forgetting the names of my friends' spouses. Walking around for five minutes and forgetting where I am headed, although I have been talking about during those entire 5 minutes.

So if you consider yourself to be intelligent, get ready for pregnancy because that intelligence will fly out the window...

4 comments:

Jess said...

They say your lost brain cells transfer to your baby...so all is not lost. I'm pretty sure I lost at least 20 IQ points during pregnancy and even more as a mother. Hopefully that means Katie will be super intelligent and can support me (so I can retire early!)

Aunt Sue said...

Pregnancy brain, that is one way of looking at it. Having been through 3 pregnancies myself & now into teen years, I want to warn you that it has only just begun. Perhaps it is God's way of helping us be numb to some of the things they will say to us....I have an "F" in this class, I got my first kiss, I am now old enough to get my driver's permit, "Mom, I wrecked the car", I am trying to learn to read "what does this mean?", I don't wanna poopy in the potty....And watching & feeling your world spin out of control & learning how to steer. So, buckle up & enjoy the ride, I can't really say which is the best part, I have loved it all! Pregancy is great b/c at least you can control what they do & where they go & they can't talk back! :)

Jess said...

We need some more Baby Rife/Melissa updates!

Aunt Sue said...

Yeah, more updates! We wanna hear more, how are you, how is Glen, how is Lil Wahoo??