Saturday, December 1, 2007

The doctor agrees....

We are definitely having a baby! Yesterday we went to my new doctor and had our first appointment for Lil Wahoo. After finding out that my old doctor's office had already closed-- as my doctor retired cause I have such great luck-- I searched my insurance web site for a doctor that was covered. Then I cross-referenced that with ratemymd.com to see who people liked. And lo and behold, the winner was.... Dr. David Berry. Chosen partly just because his name is Dave Berry.


So Glenn accompanied me yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect-- whether they would do a sonogram or not, how I would like this guy. I am happy to say the experience was positive on all fronts. They actually took us in for the sonogram first thing, due to high traffic flow and the fact that two doctors needed the sonogram machine at the same time. So anyway, it kind of went like this... "Hi, I'm your doctor. Tell me about your health." And after a few minutes, "Okay, let's see your baby."



And so we saw the baby. Everything looks good. The first thing I saw was the big black blob that is apparently the sac and then the little white form came into view. I was surprised to actually be able to see the arm and leg stubs starting to grow. And in the middle was a flickering spot which I soon found out is the heart.


For his next trick, the doctor pinpointed the heartbeat and we were able to both see it on the screen and hear it. Wow, was it fast! And strong. Dr. Berry even commented on how strong the heartbeat is. 143, he told me later, which I know is not as fast as some babies have. I can't imagine what a heartbeat of 180 sounds like. Because of the high traffic flow, I didn't get to bask too much in the glow of the sonogram, but I have been unable to stop staring at the picture.


Is that really in me? It is still hard to believe. The nice thing is that now that we have heard the heartbeat and seen the baby, the chance of anything going wrong goes from 70% to 1%. I like those odds.


Oh, and the official due date is July 11. Two months down, seven more to go....

4 comments:

Jess said...

I like your new background...and I love the picture of your little gummy bear!!!

Jeanne said...

Okay, I cannot believe that I am not only reading, but actually responding to a blog! That's great news that all went well for Lil Wahoo. It is so exciting to have that first ultrasound. I can definitely corroborate what your OB told you -- any heartrate over 100 at this point means you have a very low chance of miscarriage. Also, that ultraswift heartrate indicates that you are having -- UNE FILLE!

Janet said...

WOW...the first picture of Grammy
and HOOPOP's little darling..
Still hard for us to believe that
Glenn is going to be a Daddy, but
we are sure that he and Lissa will
be the best kind of parents..this baby will have all the love in the
world..Mom and Dad, all four grand-
parents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins & the list goes on...
We are sooooooooooo happy....

Jackie P. said...

Baby does look like a little gummy bear right now :).That is just so cool to see....such a miracle.You and Glenn are going to be great parents and this little one is going to have so much love.Can't wait to be a great-aunt again!