Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Mutant Belly"

Up until recently, Glenn had felt the baby kick, he had found the hard spot that is probably a baby butt, he had even felt the hiccups. But the other night, Glenn's appreciation for what is going on inside me every minute of every day came to a new high.

We were laying in bed, watching television and I began to feel Jamie doing his usual flip-turns or plattling, depending on whether he is swimming or dancing. I could feel his little hand running up and down my right side. It was one of those moments that Glenn laughs because I like to reveal my belly and watch it move in waves.

This time, though, it wasn't just a subtle short movement. It was a surge of motion. "Whoa!" Glenn said, suddenly distracted from the TV. But it didn't end there. He kept on "performing"-- Jamie that is. For about ten minutes straight, he just continuously swirled around inside me, poking and prodding here and there. And man, was it visible. Glenn couldn't pull his eyes away. In fact, it seemed the moments when he moved the most were those when Glenn was encouraging him. "Do it again, Jamie," he would tell him. And as though he understood, the baby would move his arm to say hello.

No comments: