Monday, June 23, 2008

Typical Little Boy....

I have to share a story from my last childbirth class, last week. The nurse was discussing how the doctors decide when to do a C-section. One day, a woman came into the Labor and Delivery, and the heart rate of her baby would be fine for a minute and then drop suddenly. Then a minute later, it would be perfect again, only to drop once more. It kept doing this, defying all the knowledge of the doctors around. This didn't follow any patterns they had seen before and they were stumped as to what to do. In the end, they decided on the C-Section.

They got in there and got the baby out and found something very interesting. The baby was absolutely fine... but he was a bit of a troublemaker. There he was, with his hand around his umbilical cord and every few minutes, he would squeeze it, cutting off all the things he needed, causing his heart rate to drop. Sooner or later, he would let go and the heart rate would go back to normal. The nurse's comment was, "I wish I could see that kid now, as a 17 year old!"
-------------------

So we went to our last class, which was mainly about C-sections, and care of the baby after he is home. Diapering, sponge bathes, feeding... And honestly, I think it was the most helpful of all the classes. I feel ready, but the one thing that makes me nervous is when they showed taking care of the little boy after a circumcision. Now, I have done a lot of babysitting, but most of the babies I took care of-- strangely enough-- were girls. And even if it was a boy, I didn't have to worry about caring for that. I'm sure it will be fine, but it will be something I have to get used to!

I went to the doctor last week, but it was just a routine check. Heart rate is great, his head is down, his butt is up (something I could have told the doctor, from the daily excercises Jamie seems to be doing in my abdomen). This week, when we go back on Wednesday, they will start measuring things again and I am really hoping that they will start predicting his weight.

Initially the doctor told me he doesn't think that Jamie is going to be a big baby. But the more I grow, and the more I look at myself in the mirror, the more I question that assertion. What led him to make that assumption? I mean, he felt around where the baby is and said it? But how can I be getting so big and he isn't? He seems to be everywhere in my belly. We shall see, I suppose.

No comments: