Monday, February 18, 2008

Lists, lists, lists....

Now that we know we are having a boy, the organizational Melissa has come out and taken control. This Melissa is the one who LOVES lists. My mind has begun to be crowded with lists of things that need to be done before July 11, which I realized today is 7/11 (what a great day to be born). So now I have started a list of what needs to be done to make the nursery pretty, what needs to be done to reorganize places like "under the bathroom counter" and the linen closet, lists of the items that I am going to need to buy myself to spruce up the room, lists of all the things I need to research to make a good decision. Don't get me wrong-- I love lists. They make me feel more in control of what I need to do. I am actually wishing I could take off work just to start working on these lists.

And then, of course, this weekend, Glenn and I went out and created the great list of things we need for the baby, otherwise known as "the registry". We walked into Babies R Us today, after many previous "scouting" visits, when we looked at things and figured out what we wanted to buy. I could have done it online, but that wouldn't give Glenn the fun of using the scanning gun. Also, it is just fun to see all these choices before me and choosing one. We made our way around the store, as intimidating as it may be, and I was left with a few questions about various products. Lucky for me, I have so many friends that have just recently had babies that I needn't look too much on the Internet. For example, where else but Jess would I have found out that rather than registering for burp clothes, I should just register for a pack of cloth diapers. I mean, they are made to be ultra absorbent, so why not.

Glenn, AKA Mr. Anti-"Stuff", was pretty good about registering for stuff and didn't put up too much of a fight with things. I did have to explain to him why we would need to get a small plastic carrier for wipes, rather than putting the entire box of wipes in the diaper bag. In the end, he saw my wisdom.

I know that many people are scared of Babies R Us, but for Glenn and I, it was a breeze. That's what you get when you put two planners together. People are still amazed at the fact that we already have the name picked, that we have the crib and the bedding picked, and that we have so little problem deciding on things like strollers and Pack N Plays. That, though, is part of the beauty of our relationship, I guess. We tend to think alike. We just explain our thoughts in very different ways.

On a side and very traumatic note, a bird pooped on my head today. Lucky for me, I was wearing Glenn's baseball cap. We had chosen to go hiking with two friends and were walking under a tree. Somehow bounced off the top of my hat, which I assumed to be an acorn. I squished my face up in frustration and rubbed my head to be sure, it had not left any acorn residue. But "residue" is what I definitely found. Or at least that is one word for it. I screamed in response and hopped around. I think I have heard that when a bird poops on you it is supposed to be good luck, and let's just say, from this incident, I will have some very good luck for a VERY long time!!!! Ugh!

1 comment:

Aunt Sue said...

Ah, the lists. I understand! I love lists myself, my lists have lists. Afterall how would we know what comes next without something to cross off on the list. : )

I personally have my daytimer which is the "family bible". Everyone in the house knows that if they have to do something, go somewhere,or need something, it better be in Mom's book (which is where I keep all my lists. : ) )

I am so excited to check out your registry at Babys R Us. Isn't that so fun to use the gun to put in all your hearts' desires? It was like a really cool game. Good job on picking a name, you did better than us. Chris & I were so sure that we were going to have a girl that we had a name picked from the day I found out I was pregnant. Then, ooop, the tech counted...one, two, three legs...yup, we were having a boy! Then came the deciding on a good boy name, tough one. Then decided that a family name was the best bet for our last child so we got Johannes Walter Mueller. So regal, lol. He certainly lives up to the name. :)